Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Finally some singletrack!

The following were rides leading up to the Yankee Springs Time Trial:
2011-04-09 (Saturday): 45 miles back road riding, fairly fast pace.
2011-04-10 (Sunday): 45 miles more back roads, not as fast but more hills.
2011-04-12 (Tuesday): 32 miles with the guys of Paint Creek team. This ride was without Keith and probably a good thing since I wasn't up for a all out VO2Max ride.

2011-04-17 (Sunday):
Finally my first bit of singletrack riding was a 2 miles warm-up on the small loop 35 minutes before my time trial start. Then at 10:19:30am I started the first of 2 11 mile laps. I felt fine the first lap until I had to get off my bike and replace the chain, it took a few minutes to work out the tightness. Its best to keep pedaling until the race is done otherwise your legs will pay for it. The second lap the chain came off again and that's when I realized that my rear disc brake was dragging... so my bike didn't gain weight after all. I finished with 18th out of 24 in my class. 24 miles total that day.

2011-04-20 (Wednesday): 10.2 miles. Today was the most productive non-race ride so far this year. While I did not go all out, the hills were getting to me and I wasn't expecting that. It didn't help my spirits much to be following a singlespeed guy who's old enough to be my big brother. I couldn't keep up on the hills! It was 41 degrees today and the reason I am mentioning this is because I felt that 3 layers including my new thermal jacket was too much, I could have easily rode with one under layer and the jacket.

All in all I have a lot more to learn... while I have in the miles this year, I need to get in more higher intensity rides. This is where the rides with the fast guys on my team will help.

Total YTD: 1081 miles.
new goal: focus my interval training, and fine tuning my training strategy.

No comments: