Monday, February 25, 2013

The Measure of a cyclist?

How to measure a workout is key, and its one of a few changes for me this year.  There are a few metrics to consider when collecting data.  According to Christian Tanguy there are 3 main points:

  • Workout duration
  • Workout intensity and type
  • Weight  **
Source: http://teamcf.org/2013/01/keeping-track/

Workout Duration was something that I have recorded in the past 2 years, albeit in-directly.  I say indirectly because I measured in miles, and not actual time which could be an indicator of intensity in known routes.  workout intensity (& type), is a new data type that I will include, but hope to keep a consistent schedule.  Every workout has to have a purpose. Weight?  That's definitely new to me. I have been trying to keep the weight I lost in 2012 down, but this item Christian mentions confirms my suspicion that weight does matter.  No not the weight of the bike, but weight of the rider.  I used the weight of 2011 Iceman (178lbs.) as a baseline to work from in 2012.  I knew I had to not only increase my strength but power-to-weight ratio improvement also had to come from losing body weight. I basically lowered my carbohydrate consumption on the non-training days and raised my protein consumption.  I achieved a weight loss of 14 pounds by 2012 Iceman (164lbs.). I am currently at 165lbs. with regular weight training and running I am becoming a more efficient fat burning machine.  So now as part of my regular training record keeping, I will keep track of my body weight for that workout, which could be useful in determining work-load.

Its almost time for Barry Roubaix 2013, so its time to step up the pace.



No comments: