Sunday, May 1, 2011

78.75 miles for the weekend.

2011-04-30 (Saturday): The Gravel Grinder (100k) ride was this weekend. I actually thought the ride would have been slightly more difficult since I have not done any 60+ mile rides this year. It was not as tough and I felt much stronger than normal. I was in the fastest group (or gang) of 7 riders. Dan Klein, Craig Morris Paul Bailey, Kurt Vogt and others... Kurt being young had some great speed on the sharper climbs and while at times I was leading the group other times I fell behind by as much as 50 yards. It was about 18 to 20 miles in that I started to feel stronger as if I got a "second wind". There was one Single speed guy with us for a while (I forget his name, but he wore a Specialized Jersey), but at about 22 miles or so in he kinda fell back a bit. After awhile I didn't see any sign of him. We got to Lake George Road quicker than I thought we would and at that point I was at the front with Pauly, he was strong the whole time. We got to the Subdivision to have some sandwiches and water bottle refills...etc etc... after eating one sandwich I was ready to rock... (we were just a about half way done). Pauly and I took off expecting the others to follow, but they did not leave when we did so we started off slow and kept looking back... after about 20 minutes we decided to pick up the speed and even made it a goal to be done before the others. We hit some great climbs on the way back to and it was on Brocker Rd. I felt fast.... I even raced Pauly up many of the hills... but every once and a while we would look back to see if anyone was catching up with us... at this point I was kinda bummed that no was was catching us. The most difficult part of the ride was the paved road through Waterstone area that got to me... the wind was strong and at that point I was not quite as strong. When we got to the parking lot We saw a couple people finishing the 50K ride... including Kurt who I thought for sure was going to do the 100k. We waited around until the other guys in our group arrived then Pauly and I rode to his house.... then he gave me a ride home... 65 miles total.... that was enough for the day.

UPDATE: I felt completely recovered with 20 minutes after the ride.

2011-05-01 (Sunday): Rode out to the Paint Creek Trail today as Kristhal drove there to get a head start. We were to meet Pauly for what would be a recovery ride for Pauly and I but a coaching session for Kristhal. I started from the house and arrived at the trail head I expected to catch up with them, but Kristhal must have been moving along pretty good. I was surprised at how fast she was going. Arrived at Dutton Rd for a few "ups & downs".. rode back with Kristhal. Thanks to Pauly for working with Kristhal coaching her on her first ever Dutton Road climb... Total ride for the day (for me) was 13.75 miles.

UPDATE: I ate only 4 pancakes then no lunch for this recovery ride.... but had a huge protein shake right after the ride.

YTD TOTAL: 1223.75 miles

No comments: